What are Restricted Products?
By: Kelly Johnston
Products for sale on Amazon must comply with all laws and regulations and with Amazon’s policies. The sale of illegal, unsafe, or other Restricted Products listed, including products available only by prescription, is strictly prohibited. Amazon has always required a level of seller responsibility and understanding of items allowed on Amazon, with or without certain levels of approval. Since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, Amazon has implemented stricter requirements of items within all category types.
However, this does not mean all items listed under the Restricted Products policy are excluded from sale. While there are some items that are completely banned (i.e. firearms, Confederate memorabilia, illegal drugs) there are others that only require approval via Amazon or compliance documentation. It is always best to review the Restricted Product page before listing items; so you can confirm if certain items are prohibited, or make sure you have filled out the correct compliance paperwork or completed the approval process with Amazon.
There are differences between marketplaces. So if you sell in a different market, please check for your specific restrictions.
Additional related policies:
- Certain categories require you to obtain pre-approval from Amazon before listing in those categories.
- Certain categories require you to provide additional information and/or a supplemental guarantee before listing in those categories.
- Those participating in Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), should also review the FBA Product Restrictions page which lists products that are not eligible for the FBA program.
- Certain products are subject to additional regulation in the state of California.
- If you wish to list items for international purchase, you are responsible for conducting proper research to ensure that the items listed comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Products that claim to be “FDA Cleared,” “FDA approved” or products that include the FDA logo in associated images need to meet additional requirements (for more information: Is It Really ‘FDA Approved’? and FDA Logo Policy)
For the full list or Restricted Products, including those specifically banned, you can find more through this link. These examples are not all-inclusive and are provided solely as an informational guide.
We encourage you to consult with your legal counsel if you have questions about the laws and regulations concerning your products. Even if a product is listed as an “Example of Permitted Listings,” all products and listings must also comply with applicable laws.
Again, we strongly suggest reviewing all Restricted Product pages before listing any items and keep an eye out for any changes within this policy. It is updated at regular intervals by Amazon.
Do you need help providing a Plan of Action? Contact us at Riverbend, we are happy to help! 877-289-1017